Energy action


Campaign to fix our broken energy system

Sign a petition with Friends of the Earth.

Email your MP with the New Economics Foundation.

If you’re part of a group, join the United for Warm Homes campaign.


Groundwork Green Doctors

Groundwork is a Greater Manchester charity offering energy advice. Download their handy guide and action plan (PDF).

The Groundwork Green Doctors website has other hints and tips, including a booklet on money matters and guides on how to install your own LED bulbs, draught proofing, radiator reflector foil and chimney balloon (for unused chimneys).

Greater Manchester residents can call the Green Doctors free on 0800 090 3638.  Find out about how GMCR and the Green Doctors have teamed up in Salford, Trafford and Bury.


Take charge of your bills

Take Charge is a new initiative funded by Electricity North West that provides free energy and money advice – call the helpline on 0808 169 9924 or send a Whatsapp message.


How to save energy at home

The Energy Saving Trust has a treasure trove of information on everything from insulation, draught proofing and solar panels to quick tips to save energy at home.

The Government’s energy efficiency webpage has advice on how you can invest in your house to stop heat escaping from the roof, walls, windows and floor.

Saving water could also help reduce your energy use.


Cold homes – advice on damp and condensation

Both National Energy Action (PDF) and Groundwork Green Doctors (PDF) have written advice sheets on damp, mould and condensation.


Generating your own electricity

Your Home Better is a collective scheme for homeowners to buy solar panels and batteries in Greater Manchester so you can generate your own electricity and store it.


Get a free smart meter

Working out how much energy you’re using can help you identify savings, so asking your energy supplier for a free smart meter is a good place to start.  For more information, see the Energy Saving Trust’s guide to smart meters.


Cost of living support

You might be able to get help with the cost of living from your local council via the Household Support Fund.

National Energy Action has lots of useful leaflets, including how to read your bills and your meters, and understand Economy 7.  They also run an advice helpline on 0800 304 7159 (Monday to Friday, 10am to 12 noon).

And there are more links which might help on the United for Warm Homes website.


Help insulating your home

Visit the GMCA Retrofit Portal to find out if you’re eligible for support for retrofitting your home.

People Powered Retrofit has a team of retrofit co-ordinators to help you work out what upgrades you need to make.  This is a paid-for service but worth considering if you need help knowing where to start.


Government support

Check whether you qualify for the Winter Fuel Payment, the Warm Home Discount Scheme or Cost of Living Payments.

You might also be able to get a grant towards the cost of a heat pump via the Boiler Upgrade Scheme.